9.07.2007

Toward a Definition of - IRONY - Takes a Holiday


I don't think that we are actually required to blog on the Irony handouts, but I figured better to blog unnecessarily and hey, why not get into the habit? First I think I may try to track down "The Big Book of Irony," seems like a good deal of short, amusing bits. I especially liked the comparison by Luigi Anolli of irony to the act of wearing dark glasses to hide that you've been crying. The act seems to suggest that you do not want to come right out and express what you are really thinking/feeling, but does just that anyway. It almost serves as a social safety net. If a person does not agree with the ironic statement, they may choose to ignore it since it was not directly stated. In the same way, a person could ignore the crier's sunglasses if that person did not care to hear about the crier's problems.
In Irony Takes a Holiday, the writers discuss the fate of irony in post 9/11 America. I could never imagine believing that irony is dead, particularly in a time of tragedy. I understand how some people would feel that any criticism or humor would be inappropriate immediately after, but there are also many people (like myself) who deal with grief, loss and tragedy through humor. In a time of tragedy, what else do you have left, and if there is anything at all to laugh at, why not laugh a little? With time, obviously, it became appropriate to poke fun at our nation's leadership, security measures, etc. Cynicism, humor and irony: just part of the healing process as far as I'm concerned.
Have a Wonderful Weekend.

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Blog unnecessarily. Please do. It's a good place to think things out.

The "Big Book of Irony" is a book of quotes on the subject of irony. I find it helpful to hear what writers/teachers/comedians have to say on the subject. As Jennifer Thompson says: "Irony is inherently confusing." It isn't easy to define. It'll be our job as a class to define it. Or attempt to, at least. I think the word has been used incorrectly over the years. I'm not going to put all the blame on Alanis Morrissette and her song 'Ironic'. Or could I? She does use the term incorrectly. I mean, 'rain on your wedding day'? That's coincidence, Alanis. How about 'rain on your wedding day, after a three year drought, and you are wearing a dress made out of paper'. Ok, that may be ironic. And what does she mean by 'it's the free ride when you've already paid.' If it's free, how did you pay? Would the person in charge of the free ride accept payment? Alanis, you have how many Grammy Awards?

And yes, I agree. We all deal with grief and tragedy in our own ways. I, too, can't get bogged down in the sadness. You can't. You wouldn't be able to function. You gotta laugh it off and move on.