9.19.2007

Mark Twain - Ramblin' Man


A lot of people complain that Mark Twain is too dry, too boring or just simply rambles on and on... I think that's part of his style. Twain does not attempt to do an over-the-top dance (American Psycho, maybe?) to keep our attention. He simply relates a funny experience he had or could imagine having. Not all comedians/writers want to serve up comedy on a platter with no requirement of additional thinking. Almost every Twain story that I have ever read is funny because it reminds me of someone I have met or even several people I have met, usually at work. I can see how some may not enjoy his style, but I do not think it's a time to call into question Twain's writing abilities. Also, the short stories we have read lately seem to have very little "southern" dialect - I didn't even notice any until it was brought up during class. I think that different dialects make the writing more interesting and I guess have read enough books/stories with southern settings that I don't even notice them.

No comments: